Inspired by Breast Cancer


When the doctor told me in August 2019 that I have Grade 3 Stage 2 breast cancer, I decided to document my journey. Firstly, writing is my way to deal with my emotions; secondly, I want to help others. I said to myself: "If my story touches one person's life and help them overcome their challenges, I can die knowing that I accomplished something."

I have since been telling my story with absolute honesty. I share my deepest, darkest feelings and emotions. I narrate the good times and positive things. And I describe the terrible moments and negative things.

My first blog entry was on 24 August 2019. At the time, I was in denial, angry, and confused. Five days after my double mastectomy, in September 2019, cancer broke my spirit. By the time I was halfway through chemotherapy, in December 2019, I felt more positive again. But the lingering side effects of chemo drove me into deep darkness by May 2020. My GP started me on anti-depressants, and by December 2020, I was full of hope for the future. However, cancer is a beast of a different kind. By May 2021, I was back in that deep, dark hole. My oncologist referred me to a psychiatrist, who doubled the dose of my anti-depressant and introduced me to a psychologist. 

I expose my heart and soul to the world, not to attract pity but to inspire others to tackle their hurdles head-on. Although I am in remission, the road ahead is long, and my destination is uncertain. Of one thing, however, I am sure. The road ahead will have obstacles along the way. When I stop and stare at the obstruction in front of me, all I have to do is read through the messages I received from friends and strangers.

Knowing that my story is an inspiration for others motivates me to find a way to continue my journey. Thank you!








Comments