Winds of change

 



Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein, once said:  "Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change."
 
No shit!
 
A little more than three weeks ago, our landlord casually informed us that he is leaving for Australia in just over three weeks. We have to find alternative accommodation because he will be selling the property.
 
Sudden?  Holy crap!  We did not see that one coming at all!
 
So, we have been frantically looking for a new house for the past three weeks.  Just this morning, our offer to purchase a beautiful home in Parys (not Paris, unfortunately) has been accepted, and we are moving during the first week of April.
 
But I don't want to write about our new home just yet.
 
Ms Shelley hit the nail right on the head with what she said, but I think she meant that significant and sudden change is a total mind-fuck.
 
Since that horrible night three weeks ago, I have not been able to think about anything else but getting out of here.  Where it usually takes me five minutes to fall asleep, I'd now be lying in bed for what feels like hours, thinking about this and that, before I eventually drift off to a place of disturbing dreams.
 
Thank the gods for other freelancers because I had to outsource some of my work (and pay out of my pocket) just because my mind was too over-crowded with different thoughts, and I could not focus on getting the job done and put food on the table.
 
Now starts the organising of the actual move: quotes for furniture removal, quotes for pet transport, quotes for the transportation of the piano, connecting a telephone and fax line in Parys to be in working condition by 1 April, opening a new post box and have all mail forwarded to the new post box, changing my business cards with the further details, changing the postal address on all accounts and for all the magazines I receive every month, getting home insurance, updating vehicle insurance, changing the vehicles registration details and get FS registration numbers and plates, connecting water & electricity with the new municipality, find a new vet, find a new doctor, find a new dentist, find a new housekeeper and gardener ... is the list ever going to reach an end?
 
Then my mind is also busy with other things, mainly starting a family.  Our third attempt at assisted fertilisation has been halted due to a minor health matter that is being treated by putting me back on a contraceptive for a month.  Now, if all the change in the external environment is not enough of a mind-fuck, getting all hormones up again is undoubtedly doing an excellent job of genuinely fucking with my mind.
 
Of course, then, being an obsessive planner, I have already started planning (in my mind) how I will be driving to the city one day a week to see clients, journalists and prospects, which coffee shop I can sit at that will give me free wi-fi, that is close enough for the majority of my clients to drive to me so that I don't waste too much time going around during the day thus effectively using my time whilst in Johannesburg.
 
Of course, the cherry on the top is that I have already done the interior decorating of the new home (in my mind), but my mind keeps changing the ideas every few minutes!  How am I supposed to keep up?
 
The good thing about all of this is that the winds of change are blowing in my life, and I look forward to seeing the end result.

Comments